There seems to have been a lot of discussion about the new Level 3 qualification and the British Dog Groomers Association (BDGA) has requested, and now received clarification, from City & Guilds.
So, here we go:
1. The current 7763 (Level 3 intro and diploma) will run until the last registration date, next August 2017, leaving 3 years to complete the qualification from registration date;
2. Students can therefore register and re-register on the 7763 intro and diploma until Aug 2017, but they must completed before Aug 2020;
3. 7863-03 City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Dog Grooming is the name and number for the new qualification and it will become available in September 2016 for registrations;
4. There will be only one assignment in the new qualifications which will need to be taken towards the end of the course and will be externally set and internally marked on the actual grooming of a dog; along with one external written test - this is due to the new Government guidelines on the design principles for qualifications on the RQF (Regulated Qualification Framework);
5. The written exam (external test) at the end of the course will only be held in June and November. There will be no evolve tests!
6. The breeds of dogs for the internally marked assignment will include popular crossbreeds, so will be much easier to source than what is currently required for the 7763 Diploma exam;
7. The City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate for Dog Grooming Assistants will be a pre-requisite before students can register for the new 7863 qualifications;
8. The length of time to take the new qualification is still to be finally decided but is likely to be between 250 and 300 guided learning hours (GLH) i.e. circa a 35-40 day course;
9. The contents of the new course will be published shortly by C&G, once it has been regulated by Ofqual. An electronic notification will be sent out via the City & Guilds notification system. Individuals can sign up to the notification systems on www.cityandguilds.com;
To summarise, the major changes are therefore:
• the current level 3 7763 course runs on for registrations until August next year;
• The City & Guilds Level 2 certificate will be a pre-requisite to the new Level 3;
• The New qualification will have an external written exam, and an internal grooming assignment;
• Dogs required for the final assignment will be much easier to source.
The BDGA is grateful for the details that City & Guilds have shared with us on this important issue.